City Information

  • Cathlamet is a town located along the Ocean Beach Highway in Wahkiakum County, Washington, United States where it is the county seat. The population was 532 at the 2010 census, though it has an additional rural population outside of the town limits.

  • Chinook is a census-designated place (CDP) in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 457 at the 2000 census and increased to 466 at the 2010 census.

    Chinook was the site of the first court in Pacific County in 1853, as well as the county's first salmon cannery in 1870.

    Chinook was once a wealthy town based on the salmon harvest. There was no road connection to Ilwaco until 1891, when the bridge was completed across the Chinook River. Later, the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company built a narrow gauge railroad from Megler to Ilwaco, passing down the main street of Chinook. The railroad was dismantled in 1931.

  • Frankfort was originally homesteaded in 1876 in Pacific County on the mouth of the Columbia River near Portuguese Point. In 1890, a planned community was platted by two promoters Frank Bourne and Frank Scott (whence the name). Together they envisioned a resort community at the location. Lots were sold on the premise that the railroad would build a line through the community (the only access at the time was via boat). A store and a hotel were built and a newspaper (the Frankfort Chronicle) was established. The financial Panic of 1893 scared away investors, and the town took a downhill turn.

    Frankfort survived mainly as a Logging town until just after the turn of the 20th century. Unfortunately, no railroad line ever materialized and Frankfort began fading away. The post office closed in 1918. By 1960, the town had only two residents.

  • Grays River is an unincorporated rural village in Wahkiakum County, Washington, United States.

    Grays River stands on the north bank of the lower Grays River, which flows into the Columbia River estuary. The National Register of Historic Places-listed Grays River Covered Bridge crosses the Grays River in the community. It is the only such bridge still in use in Washington. A low-power repeater in the community rebroadcasts Oregon Public Broadcasting television programming. Another repeater rebroadcasts KBTC-TV, the PBS affiliate in Tacoma, Washington. The ZIP code for Grays River is 98621.

  • Holman, Washington was a stop on the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company's narrow gauge line that ran on the Long Beach Peninsula in Pacific County, Washington, USA from 1889 to 1930. Development in the area began when J.D. Holman received a donation land claim on the west side of what is now Ilwaco.

  • Ilwaco was first settled by Henry Feister in 1851, and was named for Elwahko Jim, the son in law of Chief Comcomly. Ilwaco was officially incorporated on December 16, 1890. A narrow gauge railway, Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company, ran for over thirty years.

    The railroad ran north up First Street in Ilwaco. A published photo shows the railroad's Ilwaco facilities, including a gallows turntable and elevated watering trough, were located on the southwest corner of the intersection of First and Spruce streets. The depot was built nearby on Spruce Street. A siding was built for the Ilwaco Mill and Lumber Company. A published photo shows the passenger depot on the west side of First Street, at a point 14.8 miles (23.8 km) from the Ilwaco Depot to Nahcotta. The Ilwaco freight depot was in a different building. The freight depot survived to modern times, and has been relocated to became part of the Ilwaco Heritage Museum.

    The train ran out on the dock in Ilwaco. Floating logs were stored behind log booms on the west side of the Ilwaco dock. At some point after 1890, First Street had been covered with wooden planks, and remained so until 1916, when it was paved over. By 1915, a published photo shows many more businesses along First Street.

  • Long Beach is a city in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,392 at the 2010 census. It is the home of Northwestern pop cultural phenomenon Jake the Alligator Man.

    Long Beach began when Henry Harrison Tinker bought a land claim from Charles E. Reed in 1880. He platted the town and called it "Tinkerville." Long Beach was officially incorporated on January 18, 1922. From 1889 to 1930, a narrow gauge railroad called the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company ran up the whole peninsula.

    The Long Beach depot was built between First and Second Streets on the east side of the track, which ran north along "B" Street. A major destination in Long Beach was Tinker's Hotel, later renamed the Long Beach Hotel, and built very close to the station. This was the second hotel built at the site by Henry Harrison Tinker, the founder of Long Beach. Tinker's first hotel burned down in 1894. He built another one just a few feet to the east and south of the rail depot. The image in the gallery shows a crowd waiting for the train sometime between 1901 and 1907. Just across the tracks (which doubled in this area) from Tinker's Hotel in Long Beach was the Portland Hotel. The Portland Hotel, owned by the Hanniman family was unique for the area, in that it featured an enormous round turret-like structure.The Portland Hotel burned down on December 6, 1914, and was not replaced. The Driftwood Hotel was another common Long Beach destination.

    The boardwalk area near the station was known as "Rubberneck Row." Businesses existing in August 1911 that can be identified along Rubberneck Row from photographs (see images in this article) include, on the west side of the tracks, an establishment advertising "Baths" (possibly the Crystal Baths, an indoor swimming pool), Milton York Candies, a "Postal Shop," and a soda fountain just across from the station advertising "Milk Shake." A somewhat earlier photograph shows a sign for a livery stable immediately to the west across the tracks from Tinker's Hotel, followed (proceeding southwards) by a barber ship, "Vincent's Souvenirs," and "The Candy Man". A banner stretching above the tracks advertises a restaurant. The photo published by Feagans shows it was produced by H.A. Vincent, Ilwaco and Long Beach, who was probably the owner of Vincent's Souvenirs. Then, in the late 80's, the Marsh's free Museum was made to show people wonders of the northwest.

  • Megler is a small community located in Pacific County in the U.S. state of Washington. Named for legislator Joseph G. Megler, the community is located at the mouth of the Columbia River on the north shore (Washington side) of the river. It is the northern end of the Astoria-Megler Bridge, which connects Megler to Astoria, Oregon, a nearby city on the south shore (Oregon side) of the river. U.S. Route 101 and State Route 401 intersect in the community and connect Megler to Aberdeen, Olympia, and Vancouver.

  • Nahcotta is an unincorporated community in Pacific County, in the American state of Washington. It is located on Willapa Bay, on the eastern coast of the Long Beach Peninsula.

    Nahcotta was first settled in 1890 by J.A. Morehead and named for a local Indian chief. Nahcotta was once the northern terminal of the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company, a narrow gauge railroad which ran from Ilwaco, and later from Megler, in southwestern Pacific County, up the Long Beach Peninsula to Nahcotta and back, once a day. The railroad was in operation from 1889 to 1930.

  • Naselle is a census-designated place (CDP) in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 419 at the 2010 census. Though very near Columbia River's estuary, the valley's Naselle River flows west into nearby Willapa Bay and then into the Pacific Ocean. Close about the town lie the evergreen-covered Willapa Hills. The river's name has been spelled Nasel and Nasal. An early settler along the river called it the Kenebec. The name comes from the Nisal Indians, a Chinookan tribe formerly residing on the river.

  • Ocean Park is a census-designated place (CDP) in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 1,573 at the 2010 census.

  • Oysterville was first settled in 1841 by John Douglas, who married a local Chinook woman. Oysterville was established and named in 1854 by J.A. Clark. It was a hub of oyster farming as the name suggests. It was the seat of Pacific County until the seat was relocated to South Bend in 1893.

    On February 3, 1893, all of the county records and books were stolen in order to move the county seat from Oysterville to South Bend, Washington. However, it had been agreed upon that the seat would be moved to South Bend. There is a sign telling the story of this incident across from the historical Oysterville school.

    The town has several historic buildings, including a school house and historic homes, many built prior to 1880. Most of the buildings in this once prosperous town have been lost to the sea and the elements.

  • Raymond is a city in Pacific County, Washington, United States. The population was 2,975 at the 2000 census and decreased 3.1% to 2,882 at the 2010 census. The town's economy is based on logging and fishing, together with a limited amount of tourism.

    Raymond was officially incorporated on August 6, 1907. Raymond was named after L.V. Raymond, who was the first postmaster in Raymond. In the early years, Raymond's business section was built on stilts five or six feet above the tidelands and sloughs that crisscrossed the site. Elevated sidewalks and streets connected most of the buildings. Raymond claimed a population of 6,000 in the year 1913 and had a reputation as a wild and wooly lumber mill town. City fathers resisted the unwanted reputation with promotions of Raymond as "The Empire City of Willapa Harbor" and "The City That Does Things". Raymond was the city where the grunge band Nirvana played their first gig, on March 7, 1987.

  • Rosburg is an unincorporated community in Wahkiakum County, Washington, United States. Rosburg is located on the Grays River near Washington State Route 4, 15 miles (24 km) northwest of Cathlamet. Rosburg has a post office with ZIP code 98643.

    Christian Rosburg, the town's first postmaster, named Rosburg for himself.

  • Seaview is an unincorporated area in Pacific County, Washington. It is part of the Long Beach, Washington urban cluster and had a population for its ZIP code at the 2000 census of 516 people.

  • Skamokawa is an unincorporated rural village in Wahkiakum County, Washington, United States. Skamokawa rests on the banks of the Columbia River, and on WA 4. The town includes a post office, restaurant, and general store, along with a nearby historical museum and covered bridge. It is a local center for kayaking and fishing.

  • South Bend is a city in Pacific County, Washington, United States. It is the county seat of Pacific County. The population was 1,637 as of the 2010 census. The town is widely known for its oysters and scenery.

    South Bend was officially incorporated on September 27, 1890. The name of the city comes from its location on the Willapa River. The county seat was relocated from Oysterville to South Bend in 1893. The Pacific County Courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.

  • Astoria is the seat of Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. Situated near the mouth of the Columbia River, the city was named after the American investor John Jacob Astor. His American Fur Company founded Fort Astoria at the site in 1811. Astoria was incorporated by the Oregon Legislative Assembly on October 20, 1876.

    Located on the south shore of the Columbia, the city is served by the Port of Astoria with a deep-water port. Transportation includes the Astoria Regional Airport with U.S. Route 30 and U.S. Route 101 as the main highways, and the 4.2-mile (6.8 km) Astoria – Megler Bridge connecting to neighboring Washington across the river. The population was 9,477 at the 2010 census.

  • Birkenfeld is an unincorporated community in Columbia County, Oregon, United States, in the Nehalem Valley on Oregon Route 202 between Jewell and Mist.

    German immigrant Anton Birkenfeld settled in the Nehalem Valley in 1886 and founded Birkenfeld in about 1910. Birkenfeld's post office was founded in 1916, bringing much-needed mail service on a more local basis. As of 2010, the Birkenfeld post office has been closed permanently. Although mail can still be addressed directly to the defunct post office, the community has a Clatskanie ZIP code, 97016 and all mail directed toward Birkenfeld is automatically redirected there.

    As of the 1990s the community had a store, a café, a tavern, a garage, and a church.

  • Brownsmead is an unincorporated community, on a distributary of the Columbia River called Saspal Slough, in Clatsop County, Oregon. According to Oregon Geographic Names, it is named after W.G. Brown, a Portland engineer, and had been previously named Brody. There was a post office in Brownsmead from 1919 to 1975.

    Historic photos of the Brownsmead fish station, located where Davis Creek feeds into Blind Slough, reveal docked gillnetting boats. One such boat is shown in the boat hoist, resting above the water by several feet on the dock.

  • Clatskanie ( /ˈklætskɨnaɪ/) is a city in Columbia County, Oregon, United States. It was named for the Clatskanie River, which empties into the Columbia River within the city limits. The population was 1,528 at the 2000 census. The 2007 estimate is 1,710 residents.

  • Jewell is an unincorporated community in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. The logging community is located at the junction of Oregon Route 103 and Oregon Route 202, near the Nehalem River.

  • Knappa is an unincorporated community located on the south bank of the Columbia River in Clatsop County, Oregon. According to Oregon Geographic Names, it is named after Aaron Knapp, Jr., an early settler. There was a post office in Knappa from 1872 to 1943.

    Logging and fishing are the primary economic activities in Knappa. Knappa School District comprises a grade school and a high school.

  • Mist is an unincorporated community in Columbia County, Oregon, United States. It was named for the atmospheric conditions of the Nehalem Valley.

  • Svensen is an unincorporated community on the Columbia River in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. According to Oregon Geographic Names, it is named after Peter Svensen, an early settler. There was a post office in Svensen from 1895 to 1944.

  • Vernonia is a city in Columbia County, Oregon, United States. The city is located on the Nehalem River, in a valley on the eastern side of the Northern Oregon Coast Range. It is located the heart of the most important timber-producing areas of the state, and logging has played an important role in the history of the town. The population was 2,228 at the 2000 census. As of 2006, the estimated population is 2,340.

  • Warrenton is a city in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. The city is named for D.K. (Daniel Knight) Warren, an early settler. The population was 4,096 at the 2000 census.

    The first settlement within the Warrenton city limits was Lexington, which was laid out in 1848, and served as the first county seat for Clatsop county. The name fell out of use, and this area became known as Skipanon, which is preserved in the name of Skipanon River which flows through the town. A Lexington post office operated intermittently between 1850 and 1857; a Skipanon post office operated without a break from 1871 to 1903.

    Fort Stevens was built in the Warrenton area in 1863. Its remains are preserved as part of Lewis and Clark National and State Historical Parks.

    Warrenton was platted in 1889, and incorporated as a city in 1899. Built on tidal flats, it relied on a system of dikes built by Chinese laborers to keep the Columbia River from flooding the town.

  • Westport is an unincorporated community on the Columbia River in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. Westport is connected to Cathlamet, Washington across the river via the Wahkiakum County Ferry to Puget Island. U.S. Route 30 passes through the community, connecting it to Astoria to the west and Clatskanie to the east.

    According to Oregon Geographic Names, Westport is named after "Captain" John West, a millwright and lumberman who settled in the area in the early 1850s. West was a native of Scotland, emigrated to Canada as a young man where he worked in a sawmill on the St. Lawrence river and then came Oregon via California during the gold rush of 1849. West ran a sawmill and a salmon cannery in the community. Westport post office was established in 1863, and West was its first postmaster.

  • Gearhart is a city in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. The population was 995 at the 2000 census. The 2007 estimate is 1,185 residents.

  • Seaside is a city in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. The name Seaside is derived from Seaside House, a historic summer resort built in the 1870s by railroad magnate Ben Holladay. The city's population was 6,457 at the 2010 census.

    About January 1, 1806, a group of men from the Lewis and Clark Expedition built a salt-making cairn at the present site of Seaside. The Native American name for the Clatsop village near the cairn was Ne-co-tat. The city was incorporated on February 17, 1899.

    In 1912, Alexandre Gilbert (1843–1932) was elected Mayor of Seaside. Gilbert was a French immigrant, a veteran of the Franco Prussian War. After living in San Francisco, California and Astoria, Oregon, Gilbert moved to Seaside where he had a beach cottage (built in 1885). Gilbert was a real estate developer who donated land to the City of Seaside for its one and a half mile long Promenade, or "Prom," along the Pacific beach.

    In 1892 he added to his beach cottage. The Gilbert House, since the mid 1980s operated commercially as the Gilbert Inn, still stands at Beach Drive and A Avenue. Gilbert's "Gilbert Block" office building on Broadway also survives.

    Gilbert died at home in Seaside and is interred in Ocean View Abbey Mausoleum in Warrenton, Oregon.

  • Arch Cape is an unincorporated community in Clatsop County, Oregon, United States. It is located along the Pacific coast about 4 miles south of Cannon Beach. The Arch Cape post office, established in 1912, has ZIP code 97102. The community was named for a natural arch in the coastal rocks.

  • Bay City is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. The population was 1,286 at the 2010 census.

  • Garibaldi ( /ˌɡærɨˈbɔːldi/) is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. The population was 895 in 2007 according to Portland State University.

  • Manzanita ( /ˌmænzəˈniːtə/) is a coastal city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. It is located on U.S. Route 101 about 25 miles south of Seaside and 25 miles north of Tillamook. The population was 564 as of the 2000 census.

  • Mohler is an unincorporated community in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. It is located east of U.S. Route 101 on Oregon Route 53.

    It was named after A. L. Mohler, who was once president of the Union Pacific Railroad. The first post office in the area was established in 1897 and named "Balm". It was located on Foley Creek about two miles southeast of present-day Mohler. In 1911 the name was changed to Mohler at the request of E. E. Lytle, who built the Pacific Railway & Navigation Company line into that part of the county. The post office was moved to the present locale of Mohler at the same time as the name change and operated there until 1959.

  • Nehalem is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. Incorporated in 1889, the city is on the Nehalem River at Nehalem Bay of the Pacific Ocean. It is bisected by U.S. Route 101. The population was 203 at the 2000 census.

  • Rockaway Beach is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. The population was 1,267 at the 2000 census.

  • Wheeler is a city in Tillamook County, Oregon, United States. The population was 391 at the 2000 census.